Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Police disarm Zambo anti-narcotics chief

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Police disarmed the anti-narcotics chief of the local police force after he was tested positive for alleged illegal drug use, officials said.

Brig. Gen. Ronaldo Ylagan, the regional police director, said Major Jivertson Pelovello, who heads the Zamboanga City Police Drug Enforcement Unit, is now with Regional Personnel Holding and Accounting Section and is undergoing pre-charge investigation and summary dismissal proceedings. 

“Pelovello has been disarmed of his issued firearms and slapped with corresponding administrative charges,” Ylagan said in his report to National Police Chief, Gen. Debold Sinas who ordered the regional police to immediately take Pelovello in restrictive custody. 

Sinas, who was previously assigned at the regional police headquarters here, vowed to spare no one in the on-going anti-narcotics program to purge the police ranks of drug users. “Anybody who will test positive for drug use does not deserve to stay in the service any minute longer,” he said. 

Pelovello was among 60 members of the Zamboanga City Police Office, including 12 of his personnel who were tested for illegal drug use by the Regional Crime Laboratory Office on December 18. He was initially screened, but the subsequent confirmatory test on January 6 yielded positive result for drug use. 

There was no immediate statement from Pelovello. In July last year, a video clip which went viral on Facebook allegedly showed Pelovello pinning to the ground a hapless civilian following a traffic altercation in Pasonanca village. 

In the clip, Pelovello was seen stepping on the man’s chest and later dragged him on the pavement as he called for police back up. (Zamboanga Post)


Like Us on Facebook: The Mindanao Examiner
Like Us on Facebook: The Zamboanga Post
Follow Us on Twitter: Mindanao Examine
Mirror Site: Mindanao Examiner Blog
Digital Archives: Mindanao Examiner Digital
Media Rates: Advertising Rates