FB MINEX FB MINEX FB MINEX Twitter Minex ISSUU Minex Press Reader Minex YouTube Minex

Sunday, September 19, 2021

OPINION: Sunday Reflection by Mayor Beng Climaco

“THE LORD GOD is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame. He is near who upholds my right; if anyone wishes to oppose me, let us appear together. Who disputes my right? Let that man confront me. See, the Lord GOD is my help; who will prove me wrong?”

 

I dedicate this First Reading to all who suffer like me from the hands of ruthless enemies, whose victory is to see us crushed. Kapit sa Panginoon! We entrust unto God all our burdens who carried the weight of our sins to victory! Life is never easy and there will be obstacles along the way. 

In the Gospel, Fr. Coco Parilla, S.J., spoke about “Redemptive Suffering.” We offer our sufferings for love of Jesus as we share in the sufferings of others. Jesus, who was innocent, “suffered, crucified, died, and was buried,” as mentioned in Fr. Jet Villarin’s S.J., Homily. To be a follower of Jesus entails embracing our cross. It also means following Jesus who suffered for us. 

Cuncilor Pinpin Pareja invited me to Talisayan where the Eagles chapter and DOH had operation “Tuli.” As I eagerly thanked Dr. Josh Brillantes, our DOH 9 regional director, who had time to do surgery amidst our Pandemic battle. I focused on a boy being circumcised. He was about 10. He started trembling in pain and fear and his eyes teary. 

Trying to follow Covid Protocols, I did what any mother would do, I held his hands as Pinpin, like a big sister, assured him the procedure was over. In our lives, we can be myopic and focus only on our problems. But Jesus teaches us to share in the sufferings of others as we unite these with Jesus who suffered for us. 

“Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it.” (MBC) 



No comments:

Post a Comment