FB MINEX FB MINEX FB MINEX Twitter Minex ISSUU Minex Press Reader Minex YouTube Minex

Friday, November 19, 2021

OPINION: Sunday Reflection by Mayor Beng Climaco (Zamboanga City)

NOVEMBER 14 is my Uncle Cesar Climaco’s 37th Death Anniversary. And 8 years ago, another Mayor Climaco was assassinated, Arsenio; and on October 12, Randy Climaco of Tungawan town in Zamboanga Sibugay province. Three Mayor Climacos gunned down! The risks of the job is real, but this does not deter us from service to do God’s mission! I was wondering what Uncle Cesar’s relevance would be to me as Mayor in this pandemic time?

As I visited his monument at the Climaco Freedom Park in Pasonanca, I find inspiration from his Love for God and Zamboanga City. He was loved by Muslims, the IPs, and Christians so dearly, as he gave candies to children. Like him, I am blessed to be loved and my love for God and Zamboanga City fills me with gratitude to serve till the very end of my God given term. Running the race as I stumble and fall and rise up again to reach the finish line. I felt the tiredness pulling me in the long vaccination lines as I distributed Vitamin C to my people, but I kept going. 

Uncle Cesar’s love for Zamboanga City made him fight against corruption, smuggling, anomalies, and freedom from the dictatorship. Ansina gale si na posicion, tiene coraje para contra abuso y actividades illegal preveni y para maski pa dale el mismo vida por amor de Dios y Projimo y Ciudad. 

Last November 14, we LIFTED the Sunday lockdown to give way for vaccination and freedom for those who are fully vaccinated. Uncle Cesar always advocated FREEDOM and we find relevance in this Pandemic to allow opportunities to navigate safely.

Last week, I spoke to a mother who lost her eldest son from Covid. It was the 40th day and her card shared gratitude for the celebration of her son's life. In the course of our conversation she said “SOMETHING GOOD WILL COME OUT” of a dispute we were discussing! 

I can imagine Mary, our Mother, after her only son’s death and suffering sharing a glorified life in Heaven. Fr. Micheal Moga, S.J., shares that we are “DESTINED FOR GLORY WITH GOD IN HEAVEN!” As I was checking on a colleague with 3 of them awaiting hospitalization for Covid, I got a text from my oldest cousin, our Manong. He most generously allowed our family to stay in their property for more than 40 years. He recovered from Covid with his family. And says, “Something good will come out from Covid!” We join the prayers at Fort Pilar for our Covid deaths, those who are sick and all frontliners. Something good will come out of Covid - in God we entrust our past, present and a glorious future with Him!

Christian Olasiman

P.S. Gracias a Dios for the Victory of Christian Olasiman, a young ZamboangueƱo so empowered to use his voice in freedom, as Mayor Cesar Climaco wished! We are proud of you- AMDG! (MBC)

 



No comments:

Post a Comment