FB MINEX FB MINEX FB MINEX Twitter Minex ISSUU Minex Press Reader Minex YouTube Minex

Sunday, December 12, 2021

OPINION: Sunday Reflection by Mayor Beng Climaco (Zamboanga City)

‘Peace’ 

JOHN WENT throughout the whole region of the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah - A voice of one crying out in the desert: “Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths. Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made low. The winding roads shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.”

We are called to prepare ourselves for the birth of Jesus in our hearts and lives. To prepare for his Second Coming. We must realize we have sinned, repent, ask forgiveness from God and all we have offended. There is a need for internal cleansing for Jesus the Emmanuel to come. Again, I am called to humble myself: Pide perdon con Dios y todos con quien iyo ya tiene culpa! 

Today's Advent Candles represent Peace! This week, I was talking to someone who made such an important decision and it mattered in the lives of others. I asked him if it brought him peace. He responded it brought him relief, “nakahinga!” It is like this in decisions we make, God's peace is the assurance of His presence which will forever guide us. 

I brought the Special Forces to Santa Cruz Island. In the most unexpected way, I drove the PCG jet-ski with the help of LTJG Wenceslao. A very exhilarating experience. I was telling Richard Aliangan that we are stewards of God’s creation and it is our mission to protect the environment by following the laws and giving people the opportunity to discover God’s beautiful creation. God made me experience His magnificence today and every day. As we did the Lagoon tour, the Yellow Boat Foundation which was set by Dr. Anton Lim continues to give livelihood for the people. We ate the “sea grapes” or Lato Seaweed and flipped the stingless jellyfish which are thriving amid the Covid-19 pandemic in the beautiful mangrove. 

I had time to breathe God’s fresh air and rest. It is my farewell journey to these islands which I visited as a Consejala. This advocacy to protect the island led me to work with Maj. Gen. T.P. Salazar and was part of our love story. We returned as husband and wife with the family. And in 2013 as Mayor in my first term, I had my first meeting with the Team and Eng. Sicat and Adm. Pama. Plans for ecotourism are underway as well as helping the community. Fr. Sebastiano D’Ambra, PIME, founded the school there. We prayed for the four dedicated men who were lost at sea and a memorial erected for them. 

Around 21 turtle nests have been laid with only 4 awaiting to hatch and that is resilience amid the pandemic. On my way home, I was blessed to ride the TFZ 74th Infantry Battalion boat donated by the City Government. We had Lt. Col. Urbano, Capt. Orcullo, Lt. Dumanlag and Maj. Hollub with the big help of Garnette Francisco and Bong Serrondo who documented the visit and our PMB Team who had guests visited the island. 

In the words of PRRD to me when he first saw me, he said about the accomplished projects, “okay na ba?” We both will leave our respective offices in 7 months. The Second reading guides us: “I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus. God is my witness, how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer: that your love may increase ever more and more in knowledge and every kind of perception, to discern what is of value, so that you may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God. (MBC) 



No comments:

Post a Comment