FB MINEX FB MINEX FB MINEX Twitter Minex ISSUU Minex Press Reader Minex YouTube Minex

Sunday, September 6, 2020

SUNDAY REFLECTION by Mayor Beng Climaco

Matthew 17:21-27 

“You are an OBSTACLE in my path...then Jesus said to his disciples, if you want to follow me, deny yourself. Take up your cross and FOLLOW ME!”


(LAST WEEK), I was once again a reactor in a second series of webinars by the DILG and Union of Leagues of the Philippines representing the League of Cities of the Philippines as City Mayor. This is a learning series equipping participants to address the need for economic recovery and education at this time of the pandemic.

The millennials of the City Government of Zamboanga - Christian Olasiman, Jasmine Mohammadsali, Jessie Lapinid, Garnette Francisco and Bong Serrondo - are just a fraction of the hearts and minds embracing technology and navigating this new way of communication but very keen on nuancing the needs of our people and what we in government must do. God has blessed me with the opportunity of working with bright young minds and being energized by their abundance of energy which inspires me and YES, gives me a reason to hope in the future.

(Last night), I had to prepare for another talk for the Philippine Society of Public Health Physicians. Strategic Leadership in Health Crisis, When we at our best? A Reflection of a Politician!” I had to recount my leadership journey with 22 God-given years in public service. I recall how another young voice prodded me to heed God’s call and seek open windows in closed doors - Michael Angelo Saavedra, my high school student.

As a neophyte in the City Council, my dad who was my mentor, taught me to be honest and to be a fiscalizer. He introduced me to the Local Government Code as one of his first gifts to me. Being a lawyer and Presiding Officer of the Sanggunian, he knew the law and wanted to impart to his only daughter the discipline of studying every piece of legislation being passed. Quien ba tata y nana no quiere dale el mejor para na anak?

In my leadership journey, I am once again faced by the challenge of a health crisis brought about by the pandemic and the threat of terrorism in the region with the recent bombings in Jolo. Where would I hewn my strength if not from God alone who placed me here? Despite the toxicity of politics, bien mabuling gayod, I am here to respond to the calling of God to change systems to be able to deliver quality service to the people.

Just as in Jesus’ ministry, there were noisy, angry, and divisive voices that became obstacles in His mission. I too, navigate into these destructive obstacles that try to lure me away from my mission and my focus on my work.

Allow me to share the insights of Jessie that he aptly describe as an obstacle - politics is the main challenge that continue to distract our efforts to address the real problems of Covid-19. Malicious claims, spreading of baseless accusations and giving people false hope in doing what is popular, but ultra vires contrary to law because local legislation cannot run contrary to national law. All these for personal, political agenda? Very divisive and distractive as it is an obstacle to unity in these times of crisis. This is the cross a leader must carry, to deny oneself for the people. Not to let the distractive voices be an obstacle in following Jesus and our mission to serve.

This Sunday, no matter how heavy our crosses may be, do not let obstacles block God’s love to grant you hope and a future!

Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”


Like Us on Facebook: The Mindanao Examiner
Like Us on Facebook: The Zamboanga Post
Follow Us on Twitter: Mindanao Examine
Mirror Site: Mindanao Examiner Blog
Digital Archives: Mindanao Examiner Digital
Media Rates: Advertising Rates




No comments:

Post a Comment