FB MINEX FB MINEX FB MINEX Twitter Minex ISSUU Minex Press Reader Minex YouTube Minex

Friday, September 25, 2020

SUNDAY REFLECTION by Mayor Beng Climaco

 Matthew 20:1-16

“Do not compare” - that is what Fr. John Chambers, S.J., used to teach us in the Ateneo High School Department. If we compare ourselves to others, we might end up bloated with pride thinking of ourselves as “mas bueno compara na otro” or being jealous because we think others have more than us.



Fr. Louis Catalan, S.J., shared a difficult to understand Gospel, warning that we must not compare, compete, judge and expect. The laborers in the Gospel who agreed to work earlier, expected to be paid more since they worked longer hours compared to those who worked at a later time.

If our mentality is limited to “wages” and being paid, the computation is only based on the amount and effort we exerted. This mentality will always be based on merit. But God’s yardstick is different. It is based on His magnanimous love and generosity. Jesus taught us about God’s boundless grace and providence. We do not deserve what we have because ALL is grace after all.

Sitting on the same chapel at the Church of the Sacred Heart, I recall how I struggled in my early days as a classroom teacher and moderator wanting to give-up in 1990. I recall with gratitude how God saved me and I prevailed on to teach more than 10 years. His generosity led me to where I am today, tasked to shepherd Zamboanga City in this global pandemic. It not because of what I have earned, but it is about God’s invitation and my willingness to answer the call to work in God’s vineyard.

Similarly, Fr. Francis Alvarez, S.J., differentiates the attitude of a daily wage earner, a job order, who is dependent to earn daily. The attitude of gratitude vs. entitlement. Having the latter attitude is dangerous and discouraging and we can never be satisfied.

I have to check on myself to rely on God and not on what I think I should have. It also calls to mind of “complaints” I get from people undergoing quarantine and getting free board and lodging in hotels courtesy of the local government.

I had someone complaining why the other person could go home already when they arrived at the same period. And another situation where a relative was demanding how come their “pariente” is still in quarantine after 14 days. Questioning, belittling the frontline staff as having “little knowledge” in holding their relative in quarantine.

The demand and sense of entitlement made us fail to notice that these are gifts instead, that we need to be grateful for the protection against Covid. They fail to realize that the government cares for them so they go home safely to their loved ones. There are many stories on how entitlement led us to failure of having a heart full of gratitude. In this pandemic, I am reminded to count on our blessings; to breathe freely without a ventilator is God’s gift.

May we get down on our knees: “Dear Lord, you are a most generous Father and provider. May I see the goodness in my heart as your gift, and like Mary, generously respond to your call in the rich harvest of your vineyard! Amen.”



Like Us on Facebook: The Mindanao Examiner
Like Us on Facebook: The Zamboanga Post
Follow Us on Twitter: Mindanao Examine
Mirror Site: Mindanao Examiner Blog
Digital Archives: Mindanao Examiner Digital
Media Rates: Advertising Rates




No comments:

Post a Comment