FB MINEX FB MINEX FB MINEX Twitter Minex ISSUU Minex Press Reader Minex YouTube Minex

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Sunday Reflection by Mayor Beng Climaco

 Third Sunday of Easter!

Acts 3:13-15, 17-19; Psalm 4:2, 4, 7-8, 9; 1 John 2:1-5a and Lk 24:35-48 

‘WHY ARE you troubled? Jesus asks the terrified Apostles when he appears to them.’


This past week, I attended two funeral masses and often wondered what happens when we die? I used to ask my students this question: “What would you do if you knew you will die soon and had only one more day to live?”
 

This question was also passed on from my other co-teachers, one of them Fr. John Chambers, S.J. The answer would be surprising. To what I would usually do. But, because Covid-19 has swiftly and tragically taken lives with untimely death, the reality of dying is ever apparent. 

I have tried to reflect much on the thought of dying. I realize in my humble way that if I could do good and contribute to bringing God’s goodness in simple acts of love daily, life would be worth living and hopefully worth dying. I realized too, the First Principle and Foundation thought by St. Ignatius of Loyola.

I read this as I was preparing to give words of condolences. Scott McClure wrote in the Creighton Daily Reflection (Of Creighton University's Online Ministries) on April 13, 2021 excerpts from David Fleming, S.J. It reads, in part: “The goal of our life is to live with God forever...We should not fix our desires on health or sickness, wealth or poverty, success or failure, a long life or a short one. For everything has the potential of calling forth in us a deeper response to our life in God.” 

Este gale el rason del di aton vida. We are meant for God and thus focus our eyes toward the life beyond. And what about Covid and all our problems? There is a sense of indifference to life struggles that calls us not to fix ourselves solely for self-preservation. No mas concentra na mismo cuerpo kay el vida ta esta na mano de Dios!  Salud, enfermedad, riqueza o pobreza, perdicion, ganada, largo o corto vida. Todo estos tiene el valor para responde con el llamada de Dios! 

These past nights I would sleep at 2 a.m. and awake the next day thinking of the problems, the mess I am in. I would go about carrying a sad disposition. Amidst the day, I allow God to unfold His saving grace. Lately, I have felt, bien cansao ya gayod yo SeƱor Dios! I would kneel in His mercy offering my burdens to God and our Mother in Fort Pilar. God kept me from sleep to awaken me on possibilities of His saving grace. 

I remember mentioning, Jer.29:11 – “For I know my plans I have for you” says the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” This has been God’s word, His prophecy to me as I said yes to serve as Mayor. 

Desde 2013 Siege hasta na Pandemia. Na monton de problema ya ulvida yo suyu mensaje na mi vida. In the trying times, Garnette like an angel, reminds me God’s call being “chosen” to serve. We all have our calling in life and in our burdens may we never forget God’s love and providence. The Resurrected Jesus who gave His life for us tells us: “Peace be with you.” Tormento man durmi, may we pray from Psalm 4:9 “As soon as I lie down, I fall peacefully asleep, for you alone, O LORD, bring security to my dwelling.” (MBC)


Like Us on Facebook: The Mindanao Examiner
Like Us on Facebook: The Zamboanga Post
Follow Us on Twitter: Mindanao Examine
Mirror Site: Mindanao Examiner Blog
Digital Archives: Mindanao Examiner Digital
Media Rates: Advertising Rates



No comments:

Post a Comment