Sunday, August 29, 2021

Finish Z3R projects now: Zambo Mayor

MAYOR BENG Climaco reminded anew various government agencies and private contractors of her ultimatum to finish the construction of the Z3R housing units for some 720 families displaced by 2013 deadly attacks of Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) members loyal to Nur Misuari.

Climaco, who chairs the Local Inter-Agency Committee (LIAC), issued an August 31 ultimatum for the completion of all Z3R projects.  Z3R stands for Zamboanga City Roadmap to Recovery and Reconstruction. 

The mayor, in a recent virtual meeting with representatives of the National Housing Authority and the Housing and Land Management Division, said the victims of the siege have suffered long enough from the pain left behind by the attack. She wanted all projects completed to benefit those displaced in the siege.

The meeting discussed issues on power and water supply and the development projects at the Vicente Chiong property in Barangay Santa Barbara and Maulana Omar property in Barangay Rio Hondo.

The discussion also covered updates on the construction of the sewerage treatment plant at Barangays Kasanyangan and Rio Hondo, including the demolition of illegal structures and clearing at Valle Vista Z3R housing project and all areas reserved for government infrastructure projects.

Some of the projects are expected to be inaugurated on September 9 which coincides with the commemoration of the infamous MNLF siege.

Different government agencies and private contractors previously committed to speed up works on the Z3R projects after Climaco’s ultimatum. Climaco has repeatedly reminded LIAC members to expedite completion of the projects and to ensure the remaining victims of the siege who are in temporary shelters be given permanent housing units. 

“As mayor and chairperson of LIAC, I have given the agencies concerned a deadline until August 2021 to finish the construction of the housing units and award them to the target beneficiaries - the internally displaced people,” she said, adding, “we want our IDPs to know that we have not forgotten them even as we are currently coping with the Covid pandemic,” said Climaco.

She said her directive was in line with Duterte’s instructions to all government agencies to have their projects, programs and activities completed before his term ends next year.

Last year, Climaco directed LIAC members to ensure continuity of various projects and programs amid the Covid-19 pandemic to help alleviate the plight of families displaced by the siege.

Supporters of Misuari attacked Zamboanga after declaring independence and their failed attempt to raise the Bangsamoro Republik flag at City Hall. Misuari publicly denied involvement in the siege of Zamboanga that displaced over 200,000 people and affected the economies of Basilan and Sulu which are dependent on Zamboanga for their trades and goods.

Climaco set September 9 as a “Special Day of Remembrance” in honor of all those who perished in the siege that lasted for 3 weeks. Eight years after the deadly attack, residents here are still crying for justice which remains elusive for the innocent victims of the siege. (Zamboanga Post)



No comments: